#1 *wendy*

*wendy*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:35 AM

hi

following on from chelle's thread about thumb splints i wondered if anyone has or have had a Supinator strap/thumb splint??

i've found a couple of pictures off the net at something very similar. dan's ot made it like she make his normal thumb splints out of neoprene.

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.mckiespli...nstructions.htm

i've got to say it really does make a difference to bring out his arm into a straighter position.

xxx
If you don't know where you are going, you can never get lost...

Arriving at one point is the starting point to another...

Wendy, mum to Daniel who will be 5yrs in sept 10 who has right sided hemi CP and Joseph will be 3yrs old in June 10.

#2 N+J

N+J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

Hello Wendy,

Thanks for this. What I meant to ask you before is ...

How do you share out the time between this splint and the lycra arm one?

What I mean is - you have said that you use this and a second skin arm splint for Daniel. Am I right?

Does he wear them on alternate days? I thought the lycra one was so difficult to put on that it had to stay on all day.

Nicola.

#3 *wendy*

*wendy*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

Hello Wendy,

Thanks for this. What I meant to ask you before is ...

How do you share out the time between this splint and the lycra arm one?

What I mean is - you have said that you use this and a second skin arm splint for Daniel. Am I right?

Does he wear them on alternate days? I thought the lycra one was so difficult to put on that it had to stay on all day.

Nicola.

hi nicola

sorry for the delay didn't realise you'd posted! lol :) having a catch up hour now.

we've not been given any schedule to work to from ot/physio. it was something we were trying at home and at nursery as we had both realised that daniel attempted more with the lycra glove but i knew the sensory feedback is giving him the feedback he needs to be even trying to attempt moving his arm. does that make sense?

so we've been doing alternate days probably more the supine strap, have gone back to nothing at night as he keeps pulling them off. :(

also i've told nursery they can take the any of the splints off if they going to do really messy play with shaving foam or hands in paint etc to give maximum feedback. then they leave it off for the rest of the day or they'll put the supine strap on as they can get that on daniel fairly easy but they can't get the lycra glove on him. :)

when we went to alder hey children's hospital yesterday they were very impressed with impact the supine strap had on daniel's position of his arm, so after the botox he's having a new version of it to include a plastic shield for his thumb to keep it in a good position.

wendy xx

Wendy, mum to Daniel who will be 5yrs in sept 10 who has right sided hemi CP and Joseph will be 3yrs old in June 10.

#4 N+J

N+J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

Thank you Wendy,

I had forgotten I'd asked you this question.

We are going to have our lycra arm splint measured in October.

Do you think the strap is better for supination than the lycra splint ...? I suppose you must do ...

I was told that the lycra arm splint would help with supination.

We have never been told about the supinator strap.

Oh, its all sooo confusing.

Thank you,

Nicola.

#5 *wendy*

*wendy*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

Thank you Wendy,

I had forgotten I'd asked you this question.

We are going to have our lycra arm splint measured in October.

Do you think the strap is better for supination than the lycra splint ...? I suppose you must do ...

I was told that the lycra arm splint would help with supination.

We have never been told about the supinator strap.

Oh, its all sooo confusing.

Thank you,

Nicola.

me too! i didn't know about it at all which is why i put in on here to share with you lot :)

for positioning then a big yes it is miles better, but as a sensory input the lycra glove is miles better, and then neither of them gave much support and good positioning to his thumb.

they all have their pros and cons i suppose... :rolleyes:

i;ll try and take some photos of with and without of daniel.

wendy xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users